ADAPTING FOR THE FUTURE: KIMCO'S 2017 CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY REPORT
As a company that has been in business for 60 years, Kimco has successfully navigated many periods of transformation within the industry. 2017 was a year filled with significant change and notable milestones, for both Kimco and retail as a whole, which is why it’s fitting that the theme of our 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report is adapting for the future. If there’s one thing we’ve learned in our five years compiling and distributing a comprehensive corporate responsibility report, it’s that adaptation to change is one of the most important contributing factors to sustainability. Therefore, we crafted this year’s report to demonstrate Kimco’s ability to create value for our shareholders, customers, employees, and communities while balancing economic, environmental, and social performance.
At its core, sustainability is about building a business that will stand the test of time. In this report, you’ll learn that our redevelopment efforts are ensuring the highest and best use of each asset to not only benefit shoppers, but also the environment in each community we serve. Through investments in equipment efficiency and building automation, Kimco’s capital retrofit program continues to return energy, water, and cost savings. In the social arena, we have expanded our focus on environmental performance to include employee, community, and vendor performance. Lastly, we are responding to increased demand for transparency from investors by disclosing standardized and third-party verified information via our Global Reporting Initiative-aligned report, and Kimco achieved a perfect score on the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark’s inaugural Public Disclosure ranking.
We’re pleased to share with you the full results of our 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report. Click on the cover to read the report in its entirety or see below for additional highlights.
Kimco’s sustainability achievements for 2017 include:
- Named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for the third time, the only retail REIT on the index.
- Completed 238 sustainable improvement projects for a total investment of $11.4 million.
- Achieved a 4.12 percent reduction in same-site greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions within operational control from 2016 to 2017.
- Diverted a quarter of all operational waste (55,491 metric tons) from landfills or incinerators.
- Produced 3,143 megawatt hours of solar energy.
- Logged 824 hours of employee volunteer service through Kimco’s Community Connection program. Beyond volunteerism, the company contributed a total of $108,000 towards a variety of charitable causes.
- Sponsored over 27,923 hours of training – an average of 51 hours per employee.
The 34-page Corporate Responsibility Report follows the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The summary report is intended for all audiences and covers the most relevant content for stakeholders. The report appendix is designed as optional supplemental reading for those stakeholders interested in more detailed GRI indicator data on Kimco’s performance. A report supplement contains multiple years of historical GRI indicator data.
This has been an installment of StoreFront, an interview series with leaders of successful retail businesses. For more interviews, visit the StoreFront page. To learn how you can be featured, email us. We’d love to hear from you.