MASSAGE THERAPY MEETS THE HEALTH-CONSCIOUS CONSUMER
The pressure is always on when it comes to massage therapy. But in today’s era of the health-conscious consumer, the pressure points have changed for some massage providers. Many consumers once considered massages to be a luxury experience, and were willing to pay a premium for it. Now, these consumers are incorporating massages into their regular health regimen, and are expecting accessibility, convenience, and affordability from providers.
Indeed, massage therapy is moving out of the luxury category, and into the health arena, according to Jenn Napolitano, Clinic Manager for Massage Envy at Kimco’s River Hill Village Center in Clarksville, Md. Massage Envy is the largest massage therapy franchise in its industry with nearly 800 locations in 45 states. Massage Envy has 28 locations in our U.S. portfolio totaling 94,972 square feet, including River Hill Village Center.
ACCOMODATIONS: High-quality customer service is a Massage Envy mantra
When we interviewed Jenn, she told us she is also seeing massages becoming a more popular gift item, and new types of massage treatments increasingly coming on board, such as hot and cold therapies and sugar foot scrub therapy, which Massage Envy introduced to its customers in February.
TREATMENT TRENDS: One of Massage Envy’s newest services is the sugar foot scrub
Jenn also gave us some insight into her expectations for the massage industry this year, how Massage Envy is keeping customers engaged through social media, and the #1 thing she thinks massage providers can do to be successful in 2013. Stream our interview here, download it, or read the transcript.
- 1:00 Services offered by Massage Envy
- 1:50 Factors that differentiate Massage Envy from other massage providers
- 2:27 What makes Massage Envy’s Clarksville, Md., location successful
- 3:10 What customers want most from their massage experience
- 3:38 How massages have increasingly become a health experience
- 4:17 Trends driving change in the massage industry
- 5:15 Other major trends shaping the massage industry
- 6:15 Jenn’s outlook on the massage industry in 2013
- 6:40 How Massage Envy is engaging customers with social media
- 8:11 The #1 thing massage providers can do in 2013 to be successful
To see more of Massage Envy’s focus on health and well-being, visit the Massage Envy blog, Facebook page, and Twitter.
HEALTH AT HOME: Customers can take home a variety of massage products
This has been an installment of StoreFront, an interview series with leaders of successful retail businesses. For more interviews, visit the StoreFront page. To learn how you can be featured, email us. We’d love to hear from you.