THE BEST OF KIMCO’S BLOG IN 2013
We celebrated the second anniversary of our blog in 2013, marking another year of capturing some of the most important people, events, trends, and issues shaping retail and retail real estate. It’s hard to believe we’re over two years in already! It’s been an exciting initiative, and there is much more to come on our blog in the future. With 2013 concluded, we want to look back on the top hits on our blog this year. Here’s what you enjoyed the most!
New in 2013
Many new thought leaders from around the industry joined us in discussing news and trends throughout the year. Some of our most notable interviews included ICSC President and CEO Michael Kercheval, as well as Nils Kok, co-founder and Executive Director of the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark.
Podcast interviews like these are becoming a stronger fixture on our blog. Three of our top five posts of the year were podcast interviews. Videos also grew this year, giving you a front row seat to Kimco’s busy redevelopment activities as well as some major shopping events. Some of our best videos covered our Richmond Shopping Center redevelopment project, Halloween shopping activity, and holiday shopping activity.
Kimco REIToons, the cartoon series we launched in 2012, gained more attention this year. These cartoons are now some of the most popular content on our blog. We spun that popularity into the creation of the 2014 Kimco REIToons wall calendar, which you can still get your hands on by just sending an email to us requesting one.
Our blog also became more embedded in the Kimco culture this year, with more associates than ever contributing posts. Twenty-four new associates joined our blogging foray in 2013, bringing our total number of Kimco bloggers to 47. Go team!
Top posts of 2013
As I mentioned, three of our five most popular posts were podcast interviews. Here’s a look at what else grabbed your attention in 2013.
1. Fourth of July fireworks sales promise to be no dud. Jerry Bostocky, Vice President of Sales for Kimco seasonal tenant Phantom Fireworks, gave us his outlook on fireworks sales for the Fourth of July.
2. Get a move on foot traffic with Google Business Photos. Tom Lisak, Regional Sales Manager for Google-certified photography agency LCP360, told us how retailers can best use Google Business Photos to increase their search visibility and build their online brand.
3. New British gastropub is set to debut in the Sacramento area. Andy Wylie, owner of the new British gastropub Stirling Bridges, joined us to talk about how he launched his restaurant in Kimco’s Madison Plaza in Carmichael, Calif.
4. 3 corporate responsibility trends to watch in 2013. Kimco’s Director of Sustainability, Will Teichman, predicted 2013’s top corporate responsibility trends in retail real estate.
5. Family grocery store grows by staying close to its roots. Bryan Neiman, Director of Store Operations for Neiman’s Family Market, told us about his experience opening the fourth location of his family-owned business in Kimco’s White Lake Commons shopping center in Clarkston, Mich.
Thank you to our tenants
One of our favorite corners of our blog is our StoreFront series, where we feature interviews with Kimco tenants around the country. This year many of our tenants created new initiatives to strengthen their businesses and make an impact in their industries and communities. We’re proud to partner with all of them, and love being able to give them a platform to highlight their stories.
Here’s a special thank you to all of our tenants who shared their stories with us this year.
o All of our tenants at Pine Creek shopping center in Grass Valley, Calif.
o Ancona’s Wines & Liquors in Kimco’s Wilton River Park in Wilton, Conn.
o Bella by Krys Day Spa in Kimco’s Melrose Village Plaza in Vista, Calif.
o Boliwalou in Kimco’s Kings Contrivance Village Center in Columbia, Md.
o LA Fitness, eight locations in Kimco centers nationwide
o Massage Envy in Kimco’s River Hill Village Center in Clarksville, Md. (Massage Envy also has locations in 27 other Kimco centers.)
o Neiman’s Family Market in Kimco’s White Lake Commons shopping center in Clarkston, Mich.
o Novilhos Brazilian Steakhouse in Kimco’s Marketplace at Factoria shopping center in Bellevue, Wash.
o Petco in Kimco’s Enchanted Forest shopping center in Ellicott City, Md.
o Phantom Fireworks, which has seasonal stores and tents you can see around many Kimco shopping centers during the summer.
o Pure Hockey in Kimco’s Shops at the Pond in Marlborough, Mass.
o Stirling Bridges in Kimco’s Madison Plaza in Carmichael, Calif.
o Target in Kimco’s Richmond Shopping Center on Staten Island
What to expect in 2014
Our blog remains a core focus for the Kimco marketing team, and you can count on finding new stories, podcasts, videos, cartoons, and more in 2014. We hope to continue to bring you the insights and advice that matter to you most, and one of the best ways to do that is by making sure our readers are a big part of our efforts.
We’re planning to get our readers more involved in the stories we share, and make our blog an even more engaging place to be. Keep an eye out for more details and new activities next year. As always, we love hearing feedback from retailers, brokers, investors, and analysts alike. Feel free to tell us how we’re doing and share ideas for what you want to read about on our blog. Our door is always open. Happy New Year to all!