THE BEST OF KIMCO’S BLOG IN 2015
2015 was a busy year for us here at Kimco, and our blog was no exception. With 2016 in full swing, let’s take one last look at some of our best blog moments from the past year.
We unveiled REITech—a new blog series that aggregates and gives our take on the top tech updates, news, and reviews for our readers. Since REITech’s launch, we’ve discussed topics such as Tesla’s energy batteries, smart lightbulbs, Bluetooth beacons, and wearables in retail, to name a few.
In an ongoing quest to bring outside expertise to the blog, we invited seven industry professionals to share their experiences and advice. Our guest bloggers included: Melanie Spring, branding speaker, author, and chief inspiration officer of Sisarina; Michael Ruckman, president and CEO of Senteo Incorporated; Tom Klein, CEO of Digital Scientists; Andy Beal, a leading online reputation management expert; Betsy Laird, senior staff vice president, global public policy of the ICSC; Patricia Norins, vice president of specialty programs at ICSC; and Deborah Kravitz, president of PRI.
We also added 10 new authors to the Kimco blogging team, and they’ve already started to address new retail concepts and bring their unique perspectives to the blog.
Among last year’s highlights, our Illumi-Nation program entered its second phase, we revealed the winners of our 2015 REIToon cartoon caption contest, our corporate responsibility and energy efficiency programs earned major recognitions, and we launched a compost initiative at one of our centers that takes the equivalent of 64 cars off the road.
Your favorite reads
Ranging from trends to tips to ground-breakings, here are the five posts that caught our readers’ attention:
- The top 5 trends facing retail in 2016. Conor Flynn outlined the retail forecast for 2016.
- REITech: Reimagining retail through innovation labs. Kimco's technology experts explored how third-party innovation labs are taking the burden off retailers by uncovering and testing emerging technologies.
- 7 capital market trends to look forward to in 2015. Our very own CFO and Treasurer Glenn Cohen discussed the major capital market trends to watch in 2015, and how they could affect retail real estate.
- How to engage customers through in-store events. Consumer events are a fun way to help retailers drive foot traffic and boost sales. We offered five tips to help shop owners make the most of their next in-store event.
- Bringing the farm to Farmingdale: Stew Leonard’s takes root on Long Island. The popular grocer Stew Leonard’s entered Long Island with a groundbreaking at our Airport Plaza shopping center in Farmingdale, New York.
Hats off to our tenants
In 2015, we were lucky to have 23 Kimco tenants share with us the secrets to their success as part of our StoreFront series:
- All Kids Dentistry in Kimco’s Granary Square in Valencia, California.
- Artisan’s Palate in Kimco’s Palm Plaza Shopping Center in Temecula, California.
- Be…An Artist in Kimco’s Plaza @ Mountainside in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Bella Ballerina in Kimco’s Battlefield Shopping Center in Leesburg, Virginia.
- The Coffee Factory in Kimco’s Rockingham Mall in Salem, New Hampshire.
- David’s Natural Market in Kimco’s Wilde Lake in Columbia, Maryland.
- Elements Therapeutic Massage in Kimco’s Woodgrove Festival in Woodridge, Illinois.
- FABO Coffee*Art*Bar in Kimco’s Quail Corners in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Freshii in Kimco’s Plaza Di Northridge in Northridge, California.
- Gianni’s Cafe in Kimco’s Shops at Kildeer in Kildeer, Illinois.
- Great Clips with 57 locations throughout Kimco’s portfolio.
- Jewelry by Design in Kimco’s Smoketown Station in Woodbridge, Virginia.
- MROC Training in Kimco’s Fire Mountain Center in Oceanside, California.
- My Gym in Kimco’s Palomar Village Shopping Center in Temecula, California.
- My Sister’s Closet in Kimco’s Encinitas Marketplace in Encinitas, California.
- Not Your Average Joe’s in Kimco’s Suburban Square in Ardmore, Pennsylvania.
- Play It Again Sports in Kimco’s Crossroads Plaza in Cary, North Carolina.
- Posh Bridal in Kimco’s Villages at Urbana in Frederick, Maryland.
- Salty Home in Kimco’s Bridgehampton Commons in Bridgehampton, New York.
- Snowopolis in Kimco’s Montebello Town Square in Montebello, California.
- Solomons Jewelers in Kimco’s Manetto Hill Plaza in Plainview, New York.
- Sugar Divas Cakery in Kimco’s Sodo Shopping Center in Orlando, Florida.
- Thybony Paint, Wallpaper, Blinds, and Design in Kimco’s Hawthorn Hills Square Shopping Center in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
Still to come
Each year, we strive to make the Kimco blog bigger and better by creating more engaging content with valuable takeaways for our readers and continuing to have a pulse on the latest retail news while showcasing the diversity of our tenants. How are we doing? We welcome your feedback and suggestions in the comments below!
This has been an installment of StoreFront, an interview series with leaders of successful retail businesses. For more interviews, visit the em>StoreFront page. To learn how you can be featured, email us. We’d love to hear from you.