THE BEST OF KIMCO’S BLOG IN 2017
With 2018 in full swing here at Kimco, we are planning for a busy year ahead, while also reflecting back on our successes in 2017. Let’s take a look at 2017’s greatest moments on the blog.
Trends in the retail space were a hot topic not only in the news, but on the Kimco blog. From our dissection of the Amazon and Walmart competition to our analysis of a new way of grocery shopping, we informed our readers of important trends and gave them expert insights on the current retail climate.
Showcasing guest bloggers proved to be a success as they shared their voices on subjects they are passionate about. Nikki Baird discussed her tips and tricks for omni-channel marketing for small retailers, while Bryan Pearson taught us all about loyalty programs and emerging technologies in the retail space.
In light of the devastating hurricanes hitting the southern part of the United States, we pulled together a guide for landlords on how to prepare and recover from a disaster.
At Kimco, we invested $10.1 million in 170 sustainable improvement projects and were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index, recognized with a GRESB Green Star, and included in Newsweek’s Top Green Companies in the U.S.—sustainability achievements which we highlighted in our 2016 Corporate Responsibility Report for our readers.
Some other moments worth mentioning: Our teams witnessed successful tenant grand openings at Villages at Urbana and Harrisburg East and celebrated Wilde Lake Village Center’s 50th birthday. We also participated in Open Streets Howard County’s event to make Ellicott City a more bikeable community and jumped on the growth in Northeast Houston with the opening of our latest development, Grand Parkway Marketplace.
Top five favorite posts
Retail trends and news about Kimco properties and projects were just a few of the most read blog topics in 2017. Here were the five most popular posts:
- How Kimco breaks the mold when contracting maintenance services. Chris Freeman, vice president of property management, discusses Kimco’s launch of a program to aggregate all property maintenance services under one contractor, fittingly named “Bundled Services.”
- 2017’s top five retail trends. From off-price retailers to Amazon, CEO Conor Flynn discusses retail’s top five trends in 2017.
- Saving the Milleridge Inn. Brett Cooper, an asset manager in Kimco’s Northern region, interviews the new owners of the historic and charming Milleridge Inn in Jericho, New York.
- Kimco’s sustainability efforts gain momentum heading into 2017. Senior Director of Strategic Operations Will Teichman discusses sustainability trends with NAREIT in this video interview taken at the 2017 Leader in the Light Working Forum.
- What’s in store for retailers in 2017: Six key trends. Bryan Pearson, president and CEO of LoyaltyOne Inc., highlights six trends for retailers to look out for in 2017, including emerging technologies such as virtual reality and wearables.
Tenant appreciation – thanks for all you do!
We are so grateful for our tenants’ commitment to their craft each and every day. That being said, we wanted to take the time to thank 15 of our outstanding tenants that shared their stories last year as part of our StoreFront series:
- El Quetzal at Kimco’s Suburban Square in Ardmore, Pennsylvania
- Fantastic Sams at Kimco’s Shops at Santa Barbara in Cape Coral, Florida
- Lumen Optical at Kimco’s The Shops at Kildeer in Kildeer, Illinois
- Poplar Wealth Management at Kimco’s Westlake Shopping Center in Daly City, California
- Raves Salon at Kimco’s Manetto Hill Plaza in Plainview, New York
- Roam at Kimco’s Perimeter Expo in Atlanta, Georgia
Moving onward and upward
It’s a new year with Kimco’s blog, and we would love to hear your feedback on how we’re doing! Are there any topics you are interested in hearing about in 2018? Let us know in the comments below.
This has been an installment of StoreFront, an interview series with leaders of successful retail businesses. For more interviews, visit the StoreFront page. To learn how you can be featured, email us. We’d love to hear from you.